Is everyone who opposes gay marriage a bigot? What about a religious person who supports civil unions but opposes gay marriage? Is that person always a bigot?
In this Slate Plus podcast extra, Slate’s Will Saletan and Mark Joseph Stern revisit a debate they explored over a series of posts in March.
Here are a few of the links mentioned in their discussion:
- “Ross Douthat’s Canny (and Utterly Dishonest) Defense of Homophobia,” Mark’s March 3 rebuttal to a column by the New York Times columnist.
- “A Polite Homophobe Is Still a Homophobe,” by Mark, March 6.
- “The Photographer’s Story,” by Will, March 7.
- “Purge the Bigots,” by Will, April 4.
- “Are Anti-Gay Activists Bigots? A Brilliant, Disturbing New Book Says Yes,” by Mark, July 29.
For info on how to subscribe to the Slate Plus podcast feed, go here.
TODAY IN SLATE
The End of Pregnancy
And the inevitable rise of the artificial womb.
Doctor Tests Positive for Ebola in New York City
How a Company You’ve Never Heard of Took Control of the Entire Porn Industry
The Hot New Strategy for Desperate Democrats
Blame China for everything.
The Questions That Michael Brown’s Autopsies Can’t Answer
Kiev Used to Be an Easygoing Place
Now it’s descending into madness.
Don’t Just Sit There
How to be more productive during your commute.