Is everyone who opposes gay marriage a bigot? What about a religious person who supports civil unions but opposes gay marriage? Is that person always a bigot?
In this Slate Plus podcast extra, Slate’s Will Saletan and Mark Joseph Stern revisit a debate they explored over a series of posts in March.
Here are a few of the links mentioned in their discussion:
- “Ross Douthat’s Canny (and Utterly Dishonest) Defense of Homophobia,” Mark’s March 3 rebuttal to a column by the New York Times columnist.
- “A Polite Homophobe Is Still a Homophobe,” by Mark, March 6.
- “The Photographer’s Story,” by Will, March 7.
- “Purge the Bigots,” by Will, April 4.
- “Are Anti-Gay Activists Bigots? A Brilliant, Disturbing New Book Says Yes,” by Mark, July 29.
For info on how to subscribe to the Slate Plus podcast feed, go here.
TODAY IN SLATE
The Ebola Story
How our minds build narratives out of disaster.
The Budget Disaster That Completely Sabotaged the WHO’s Response to Ebola
PowerPoint Is the Worst, and Now It’s the Latest Way to Hack Into Your Computer
The Shooting Tragedies That Forged Canada’s Gun Politics
A Highly Unscientific Ranking of Crazy-Old German Beers
Welcome to 13th Grade!
Some high schools are offering a fifth year. That’s a great idea.
The Actual World
“Mount Thoreau” and the naming of things in the wilderness.