Is everyone who opposes gay marriage a bigot? What about a religious person who supports civil unions but opposes gay marriage? Is that person always a bigot?
In this Slate Plus podcast extra, Slate’s Will Saletan and Mark Joseph Stern revisit a debate they explored over a series of posts in March.
Here are a few of the links mentioned in their discussion:
- “Ross Douthat’s Canny (and Utterly Dishonest) Defense of Homophobia,” Mark’s March 3 rebuttal to a column by the New York Times columnist.
- “A Polite Homophobe Is Still a Homophobe,” by Mark, March 6.
- “The Photographer’s Story,” by Will, March 7.
- “Purge the Bigots,” by Will, April 4.
- “Are Anti-Gay Activists Bigots? A Brilliant, Disturbing New Book Says Yes,” by Mark, July 29.
For info on how to subscribe to the Slate Plus podcast feed, go here.
TODAY IN SLATE
I was hit by a teacher in an East Texas public school. It taught me nothing.
There Are New Abuse Allegations Against Adrian Peterson
After This Merger, One Company Could Control One-Third of the Planet's Beer Sales
John Oliver Pleads for Scotland to Stay With the U.K.
If You’re Outraged by the NFL, Follow This Satirical Blowhard on Twitter
Don’t Expect Adrian Peterson to Go to Prison
In much of America, beating your kids is perfectly legal.
Ford’s Big Gamble
It’s completely transforming America’s best-selling vehicle.