Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 350 with Stephen Metcalf and Dana Stevens with the audio player below.
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
Go to slate.com/cultureplus to learn more about Slate Plus and join today.
This week on Slate Plus, the critics talk with Rebecca Onion about The History of American Slavery, the new Slate Academy podcast she’s co-hosting with Jamelle Bouie.
On this week’s Slate Culture Gabfest, Emily Bazelon joins the critics to discuss a Title IX investigation that was filed against Northwestern professor Laura Kipnis following a polemical essay she wrote for the Chronicle of Higher Education. Were these charges and this investigation examples of administrative overreach? Next up, are generational labels a lazy and bogus way to explain human behavior? Rebecca Onion joins to make the case for why they are. Finally, Carl Wilson joins to discuss the career of guitarist and songwriter Jim O’Rourke, and his latest album, Simple Songs.
Links to some of the things we discussed this week follow:
- “Have We Learned Anything From the Columbia Rape Case?” by Emily Bazelon in the New York Times Magazine
- “Sexual Paranoia Strikes Academe” by Laura Kipnis in the Chronicle of Higher Education
- “My Title IX Inquisition” by Laura Kipnis in the Chronicle of Higher Education
- The Slate Culture Gabfest episode that discussed Laura Kipnis’ initial essay
- “The College Rape Overcorrection” by Emily Yoffe in Slate
- “Against Generations” by Rebecca Onion in Aeon
- Simple Songs by Jim O’Rourke
- “The Musical Omnivore’s Dilemma” by Carl Wilson in Slate
- “Friends With Benefits” by Jim O’Rourke
- A Ghost Is Born by Wilco
- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco
- The Visitor by Jim O’Rourke
- “Last Year” by Jim O’Rourke
This week the Culture Gabfest is sponsored by Braintree. To learn more, and for your first $50,000 in transactions fee-free, go to braintreepayments.com/culture. The Gabfest is also sponsored by Volvo. Go to volvocars.com/us to learn more about Volvo’s Wonder of Summer Event or to learn where to test-drive a Volvo at your local dealer. Our final sponsor this week is Harry’s. Use the promo code CULTURE to get $5 off a limited-edition Father’s Day set of men’s shaving products.
Dana: “When the Rock Is Your Dad” by Chris Wade
Carl: Mystery Show, a new podcast hosted by Starlee Kine
Steve: Trampoline Hall, a lecture series in Toronto
Outro: “When the Rock Is Your Dad” by Chris Wade
You can email us at email@example.com.
This podcast was produced by Ann Heppermann. Our intern is Lindsey Albracht.