Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss TMZ’s release of video showing Ray Rice punching his wife and the Baltimore Ravens’ decision to cut Rice from the team. Slate’s Jamelle Bouie also joins to discuss Atlanta Hawks owner Bruce Levenson’s decision to put his team up for sale on account of an email he sent in 2012 that said in part that the team’s “black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent black fans to build a significant season ticket base.” Finally, Josh interviews Josh Keefe, who claims to be the worst quarterback in the history of high school football.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- TMZ posted video showing Ray Rice punching his then-fiancée in a hotel elevator.
- The Baltimore Ravens released and the NFL suspended Rice.
- The Ravens had defended Rice on Twitter and on the team website.
- Did the NFL lie to beat reporters about whether it had seen the Rice video?
- Atlanta Hawks majority owner Bruce Levenson is selling his interest in the team after writing an email about the Hawks’ predominantly black fan base.
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says Levenson is “a businessman asking reasonable questions about how to put customers in seats.”
- The Nation’s Dave Zirin on the history of institutional racism in the NBA.
- Jamelle Bouie’s Slate piece on how Donald Sterling’s actions are more important than his words.
- The Atlanta Braves are moving to a baseball stadium in a predominantly white suburban county.
- Josh Keefe’s Slate story, “I Was the Worst High School Quarterback Ever.”
Hang Up and Listen’s sportsdorsements:
Mike’s sportsdorsement: The baseball pennant races are heating up. Royals! Nationals! A’s! Angels!
Stefan’s sportsdorsement: Albania beat Portugal in Euro 2016 qualifying.
Josh’s sportsdorsement: The FIBA Basketball World Cup is about to get good. Look out for Slovenia’s Goran and Zoran Dragic.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss bonding through sports at the Slate retreat. Slate Plus members get an ad free version of this podcast with bonus segments. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at email@example.com.