South by Southwest (or SXSW as hipsters call it) is a well-known meeting in Austin, Texas, covering a lot of different aspects of culture. Over the years they have added various, more focused meetings centered on different topics, including SXSW Eco, which deals with “the complex challenges facing civil society, the economy and the natural world” [though apparently not the Oxford comma].
One of the topic threads at SXSW Eco is climate change, and I’ll be participating on a panel with other science communicators to talk about how the media is handling this critical topic. Other panelists are Kiera Butler (Mother Jones), Suzanne Goldenberg (The Guardian), John Metcalfe (The Atlantic Cities), and Kate Sheppard (The Huffington Post). My friend and fellow science writer Chris Mooney will be moderating.
We’ll be covering a lot of ground during the panel, and of course I’ll be railing about the climate change deniers and their enablers.
The panel will be today, Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013, at 4:30 p.m. Central time. It’ll be live-streamed for your viewing pleasure at Slate and several other places, including sxsweco.com, motherjones.com, and climatedesk.org. You can read more about the panel at Mooney’s article on Mother Jones. Watch the livestream here:
This should be fun, if also a bit aggravating, because even talking about this stuff makes me want to bang my head against the wall. It honestly feels like arguing with people who swear the Earth is flat, and that all those scientists are too stupid or making too much money from Big Sphere to tell you the truth. The science of climate change is pretty much just as conclusive as the Earth being round. Yet here we are.
I’m looking forward to hearing from the other panelists, though, and learning more about the media aspects of this. I hope folks who read me here will tune in. And if you want background info, here is a list of my previous posts outlining the sort of nonsense we have to deal with over climate change.
- Climate Change: It’s Real, and It’s Us
- I Told You So: Congressman Parrots Climate Change Denial Errors
- Why Debunk Climate Change Deniers?
- As Climate Change Report Draws Near, Deniers Raise Voices, Bury Heads Deeper
- The Climate Change Denial Machine Is Going Up to 11
- Another Week, Another Climate Change Denial Article in The Mail (and the followup, UPDATE: Despite Doubling Down, Climate Change Article Still Very Misleading)
TODAY IN SLATE
Justice Ginsburg’s Crucial Dissent in the Texas Voter ID Case
The Jarring Experience of Watching White Americans Speak Frankly About Race
How Facebook’s New Feature Could Come in Handy During a Disaster
The Most Ingenious Teaching Device Ever Invented
Sprawl, Decadence, and Environmental Ruin in Nevada
You Should Be Able to Sell Your Kidney
Or at least trade it for something.
- Texas Lab Worker on Cruise Tests Negative for Ebola as Dallas Hospital Apologizes
- Police Use Tear Gas to Break Up College Pumpkin Festival Turned Violent
- Racist Rancher Cliven Bundy Challenges Eric Holder in Bizarre Campaign Ad
- Supreme Court Allows Texas Law That Accepts Handgun Permits but not College IDs to Vote
An All-Female Mission to Mars
As a NASA guinea pig, I verified that women would be cheaper to launch than men.