To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss the Alabama Supreme Court’s bizarre move to stop gay marriage in that state—again. Slate Plus members get an ad-free version of this podcast with bonus segments. Visit slate.com/gabfestplus and try it free for two weeks.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon and David Plotz discuss the fallout from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s controversial speech to Congress and the possible scandal surrounding Hillary Clinton’s use of a personal email account in her official capacity as U.S. secretary of state. They also analyze the oral arguments in the King v. Burwell Obamacare case before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Here are some of the links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- How did Netanyahu’s speech go and what, if any, impact did it have on Israel’s relationship with the U.S?
- Was Bibi’s speech about Iran and disrupting the U.S.’s ongoing negotiations with Iran, or about bolstering his re-election chances?
- What's happening with Hillary’s emails and why did she do it?
- Clinton says “nothing nefarious” is going on, but did she actually break the law? Do voters even care?
- Is this just more typical Clinton mess all over again?
- What’s really going on with Obamacare? SCOTUSblog has the latest on the Obamacare challenge?
- After oral arguments, will Justice Kennedy be the swing vote, or will it be Chief Justice Roberts again?
- Slate’s Amicus podcast explains why millions of Americans—including those in Red States—could lose their health insurance. What happens then?
Slate’s Political Gabfest is coming to Brooklyn on April 8! Doors open at 7:30 p.m. for the live show. If you are a Slate Plus member, you will receive 30 percent off your ticket purchase (use the Upcoming Events tool in the Slate Plus dashboard on the right side of the Slate Plus homepage to receive your individualized discount code). If you’d like to become a Slate Plus member, visit slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest.
Join the discussion of this episode on Facebook.
The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.
Podcast production by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Tarik Barrett.