Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
In this weeks’ Gabfest, DoubleX editor Hanna Rosin, Outward editor June Thomas, and New York magazine’s Noreen Malone are joined by Jessica Winter to discuss Dylan Farrow’s account of her alleged molestation by Woody Allen; then they talk about The Triple Package, the tiger mother’s new book about the cultural traits that explain the rise and fall of cultural groups; and they chat about the women of the Winter Olympics.
- Other items discussed in the show:
- “An Open Letter From Dylan Farrow,” in the New York Times.
- In Slate, Jessica Winter assessed the evidence about whether Woody Allen molested Dylan Farrow and wrote about Robert Weide’s sleazy, passive-aggressive attack on Mia Farrow and her daughter in the Daily Beast.
- Maureen Orth’s piece about Mia Farrow and her children in the November 2013 Vanity Fair.
- Our colleagues at the Culture Gabfest discussed whether the accusations against Allen diminish his cinematic achievements.
- Robert Weide’s defense of Allen in the Daily Beast.
- Walter Isaacson’s interview with Woody Allen in Time.
- Aaron Bady’s take in the New Inquiry.
- The Triple Package: How Three Unlikely Traits Explain the Rise and Fall of Cultural Groups in America, by Amy Chua and Jed Rubenfeld.
- Chua and Rubenfeld on the Today Show.
- “Confessions of a Tiger Couple,” by Jennifer Szalai, in the New York Times Magazine.
- “What Drives Success?” by Chua and Rubenfeld in the New York Times.
- A profile of figure skater Gracie Gold in the New York Daily News.
- Lindsey Vonn’s swimwear spread in Sports Illustrated.
- “15 U.S. Women to Watch at the Winter Olympics in Sochi,” from Business Insider.
- The Daily Mail has racy photos of some Russian Olympians, including Tatiana Borodulina from Siberia.
Buy tickets for our live Feb. 13 show here:
Loyal fans of Slate’s DoubleX, please remember to like us on our Facebook page. Tell us what we should cover in the next edition.
TODAY IN SLATE
More Than Scottish Pride
Scotland’s referendum isn’t about nationalism. It’s about a system that failed, and a new generation looking to take a chance on itself.
IOS 8 Comes Out Today. Do Not Put It on Your iPhone 4S.
Why Greenland’s “Dark Snow” Should Worry You
Three Talented Actresses in Three Terrible New Shows
The Human Need to Find Connections in Everything
It’s the source of creativity and delusions. It can harm us more than it helps us.
Happy Constitution Day!
Too bad it’s almost certainly unconstitutional.