Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 219 with Stephen Metcalf, Dana Stevens, Seth Stevenson, and Julia Turner by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
The sponsors of today’s show are Stamps.com and Audible.com. Go to Stamps.com and use the promo code “CULTUREFEST” for your no-risk free trial and bonus offer. Get a free audiobook from Audible’s collection of more than 100,000 titles and a subscription to a daily audio digest when you sign up for a 30-day free trial at www.audiblepodcast.com/culturefest.
Culturefest is on the radio! “Gabfest Radio” combines Slate’s Culture and Political Gabfests in one show—listen on Saturdays at 7 a.m. and Sundays at 6 p.m. on WNYC’s AM820.
On this week’s Culture Gabfest, our critics discuss Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor in the Lifetime film Liz & Dick, Slate’s Seth Stevenson drops by to discuss his piece on the Web-video montages known as supercuts, and the hosts debate whether the photo sharing app Snapchat is a tool for teenage vice or a harmless waste of time.
Here are some links to the things we discussed this week:
- Reviews and commentary on Liz & Dick from the New York Times, Slate, and Buzzfeed.
- The forthcoming Scorcese film on Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.
- Furious Love, the book on which Liz & Dick was based.
- Seth Stevenson’s piece on supercuts.
- The Video Remix ”Supercut” Comes of Age by Andy Baio (Wired, 11/1/11).
- “Telephones” by Christian Marclay (1995).
- Five of the best supercuts on YouTube by David Holmes (Daily Dot, 7/3/12).
- Supercut.org: Home of the Obsessive Video Montage.
- The Real Problem With the iPhone Sexting App by Katie Heaney.
- Does Snapchat offer safe sexting from smartphones, or a false sense of security? by Graham Cluley.
Dana’s pick: The new Slate blog of historical treasures and oddities, The Vault.
Julia’s pick: An iPhone game called Flow.
Stephen’s pick: The poem “First Sight” by Philip Larkin.
Outro: “Roly Poly” by Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This podcast was produced by Dan Pashman. Our intern is Sally Tamarkin.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
Even by Russian Standards, Moscow’s Anti-War March Was Surprisingly Grim
I Wrote a Novel Envisioning a Nigerian Space Program. Then I Learned Nigeria Actually Has One.
Photos of the Crowds That Took Over NYC for the People’s Climate March
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.