* Leo Braudy and Marshall Cohen, eds.: Film Theory and Criticism (Oxford Press)
* Andre Bazin: What is Cinema? (UC California Press)
* Christian Metz: Film Language (Chicago Press)
* Tom Conley: Film Hieroglyphs (Minnesota Press)
* Theodore Adorno: The Culture Industry (Routledge)
* Jerome Christensen: America’s Corporate Art: The Studio Authorship of Hollywood Motion Pictures (Stanford)
We will also study the following films:
Vertov: Man With the Movie Camera
Eisenstein: Battleship Potemkin
Chaplin: Modern Times
Fritz Lang: Scarlet Street
Siodmak: The Killers
De Sica: Umberto D.
Warner Bros.: Bonnie and Clyde
TODAY IN SLATE
The Democrats’ War at Home
How can the president’s party defend itself from the president’s foreign policy blunders?
Congress’ Public Shaming of the Secret Service Was Political Grandstanding at Its Best
Michigan’s Tradition of Football “Toughness” Needs to Go—Starting With Coach Hoke
A Plentiful, Renewable Resource That America Keeps Overlooking
Windows 8 Was So Bad That Microsoft Will Skip Straight to Windows 10
Cringing. Ducking. Mumbling.
How GOP candidates react whenever someone brings up reproductive rights or gay marriage.
You Deserve a Pre-cation
The smartest job perk you’ve never heard of.