* Leo Braudy and Marshall Cohen, eds.: Film Theory and Criticism (Oxford Press)
* Andre Bazin: What is Cinema? (UC California Press)
* Christian Metz: Film Language (Chicago Press)
* Tom Conley: Film Hieroglyphs (Minnesota Press)
* Theodore Adorno: The Culture Industry (Routledge)
* Jerome Christensen: America’s Corporate Art: The Studio Authorship of Hollywood Motion Pictures (Stanford)
We will also study the following films:
Vertov: Man With the Movie Camera
Eisenstein: Battleship Potemkin
Chaplin: Modern Times
Fritz Lang: Scarlet Street
Siodmak: The Killers
De Sica: Umberto D.
Warner Bros.: Bonnie and Clyde
TODAY IN SLATE
Black people’s disdain for “proper English” and academic achievement is a myth.
Hong Kong’s Protesters Are Ridiculously Polite. That’s What Scares Beijing So Much.
The One Fact About Ebola That Should Calm You: It Spreads Slowly
How White Boy Rick, a legendary Detroit cocaine dealer, helped the FBI uncover brazen police corruption.
A Jaw-Dropping Political Ad Aimed at Young Women, Apparently
How Even an Old Hipster Can Age Gracefully
On their new albums, Leonard Cohen, Robert Plant, and Loudon Wainwright III show three ways.