Is Kelly Clarkson's My December a pop music Heaven's Gate? For the past several months, Clarkson has been the music biz gossip item No. 1—bickering with record mogul Clive Davis, firing her manager, canceling her tour—and many industry insiders had written off My December as an epic flop weeks prior to its release. Now the album has arrived, with a dozen guitar-powered confessional rock songs nearly loud enough to drown out the surrounding snarky din. On this week's Mixing Desk podcast, Craig Marks, editor in chief of Blender magazine, joins Slate's Jody Rosen to discuss what happens when an American Idol winner decides to follow her muse—label heads and Swedish song doctors be damned.
To listen to Slate's Mixing Desk podcast about My December, by Kelly Clarkson, click the arrow button on the player below:
* To download the MP3 file, right-click (Windows) or hold down the Control key while you click (Mac), and then use the "save" or "download" command to save the audio file to your hard drive.
TODAY IN SLATE
Don’t Worry, Obama Isn’t Sending U.S. Troops to Fight ISIS
But the next president might.
IOS 8 Comes Out Today. Do Not Put It on Your iPhone 4S.
Why Greenland’s “Dark Snow” Should Worry You
How Much Should You Loathe NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell?
Here are the facts.
Three Talented Actresses in Three Terrible New Shows
The Human Need to Find Connections in Everything
It’s the source of creativity and delusions. It can harm us more than it helps us.
- German Fraud Investigator Says Anonymous Client Will Pay $30 Million for Info on MH17 Shootdown
- A Brief Reminder That Not Everything in the World is Terrible
- How Many Countries Were Created Through Secession Votes?
- Gun-Control Group Investigates 81 People Looking for Guns Online, Finds Eight Have Criminal Records