Is Kelly Clarkson's My December a pop music Heaven's Gate? For the past several months, Clarkson has been the music biz gossip item No. 1—bickering with record mogul Clive Davis, firing her manager, canceling her tour—and many industry insiders had written off My December as an epic flop weeks prior to its release. Now the album has arrived, with a dozen guitar-powered confessional rock songs nearly loud enough to drown out the surrounding snarky din. On this week's Mixing Desk podcast, Craig Marks, editor in chief of Blender magazine, joins Slate's Jody Rosen to discuss what happens when an American Idol winner decides to follow her muse—label heads and Swedish song doctors be damned.
To listen to Slate's Mixing Desk podcast about My December, by Kelly Clarkson, click the arrow button on the player below:
* To download the MP3 file, right-click (Windows) or hold down the Control key while you click (Mac), and then use the "save" or "download" command to save the audio file to your hard drive.
TODAY IN SLATE
Forget Oculus Rift
This $25 cardboard box turns your phone into an incredibly fun virtual reality experience.
The Congressional Republican Digging Through Scientists’ Grant Proposals
Renée Zellweger’s New Face Is Too Real
Sleater-Kinney Was Once America’s Best Rock Band
Can it be again?
Whole Foods Is Desperate for Customers to Feel Warm and Fuzzy Again
I’m 25. I Have $250.03.
My doctors want me to freeze my eggs.
- NSA Is Letting its Chief Technical Officer Work 20 Hours a Week for a Private Company
- After 13 Years of U.S. Occupation, Afghanistan Opium Production Is at an All-Time High
- The Pennsylvania Fugitive Sniper Is Still at Large After 39 Days
- Oscar Pistorius Sentenced to Five Years, May Only Serve Ten Months
Smash and Grab
Will competitive Senate contests in Kansas and South Dakota lead to more late-breaking races in future elections?