Listen to Mom and Dad Are Fighting by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
In this week’s edition of Slate’s parenting podcast Mom and Dad Are Fighting, Slate editors Allison Benedikt and Dan Kois talk to sex educator and Scarleteen founder Heather Corinna about IUDs for teenagers, and how to discuss contraception with your kids. Then, Dan and Allison yak about mom jeans and dad jokes—has the mocking of parents gone too far? Plus a listener call about babies and sleep, and parenting triumphs and fails.
Items discussed in the show:
- The American Academy of Pediatrics’ new guidelines for contraception.
- Amanda Marcotte on a new study with very promising IUD results.
- Guttmacher Institute report on teen sex and reproductive health.
- Planned Parenthood poll on how parents and teens talk about sexuality.
- Saturday Night Live’s infamous mom jeans sketch.
- “Dad Magazine” on the Toast.
- “Enough With the Ageist, Sexist Mom Jokes,” by Amanda Hess.
- NYDJ (Not Your Daughter’s Jeans).
- The Sleepeasy Solution, by Jennifer Waldburger and Jill Spivak.
Mom and Dad recommend:
Allison recommends Me & Dog, Gene Weingarten’s new children’s book, which explores the possibility that there is no God.
Dan wants your kids to watch the PBS Kids show, Fetch! With Ruff Ruffian.
Email us at email@example.com to tell us what you thought of today’s show and give us ideas for what we should cover in the next edition. Got questions that you’d like us to answer on a future episode? Call and leave us a message at 424-255-7833.