Listen to Mom and Dad Are Fighting by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
In this week’s edition of Slate’s parenting podcast Mom and Dad Are Fighting, Slate editors Allison Benedikt and Dan Kois talk to Slate’s Emily Bazelon about campus sexual assault, and how parents should be dealing with the issue when preparing their kids for college. Then, Mother’s Day. What gifts do moms really want? Hint: Not this.
Other items discussed in the show:
- This New York Times story on campus sexual assault.
- Emily Yoffe's Slate story on college binge drinking and rape.
- The letter some senators wrote to U.S. News and World Report, asking the magazine to include sexual assault stats in its college ranking formulation.
- Amanda Marcotte on the one-in-five rape stat.
- “Sexual Aggressors in Bars Aren’t Necessarily Drunk, But Their Targets Are”
- Melinda Wenner Moyer’s parenting column on how white parents should talk to their kids about race.
- The Atlantic on a new study about how parents’ political beliefs filter down to their kids.
Mom and Dad recommend:
Allison really liked the documentary Mitt, and also says you shouldn’t tell your kids that politicians you disagree with are bad people. Live and learn!
Dan recommends the board game, The Game of Life Zapped Edition, which your kids will play by themselves.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us what you thought of today’s show and give us ideas for what we should cover in the next edition. Got questions that you’d like us to answer on a future episode? Call and leave us a message at 424-255-7833.