Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about all the intentional fouling in the NBA playoffs and whether the league should legislate it out of the game. They also discuss Floyd Mayweather’s history of domestic violence and whether viewers should boycott his fight with Manny Pacquiao. Finally, they assess Cincinnati Reds manager Bryan Price’s recent profanity-filled tirade and how it fits into the history of baseball rants.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- NBA Commissioner Adam Silver says the league will look into changing its rules on intentional fouling.
- The Wikipedia page for Hack-a-Shaq.
- FiveThirtyEight’s statistical assessment of whether the strategy works.
- Spurs coach Gregg Popovich says he hates Hack-a-Shaq but does it because it’s within the rules.
- Sports Illustrated writers debate what the NBA should do about intentional fouls.
- ESPN’s Outside the Lines report on Floyd Mayweather’s history of domestic violence.
- ESPN’s Keith Olbermann says we should boycott the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.
- Rachel Nichols’ 2014 interview with Mayweather about his abuse of women.
- Deadspin published a pair of critiques of ESPN’s Mayweather coverage.
- The Associated Press estimated that Mayweather could earn as much as $180 million from the fight.
- Mayweather signed a huge deal with Showtime in 2013.
- Cincinnati Reds manager Bryan Price’s rant, in all its bleeped-out glory.
- The Cincinnati Enquirer’s C. Trent Rosecrans angered Price by reporting that a Reds player was injured and couldn’t play.
- Rosecrans’ story about Price’s temper tantrum.
- All-time great rants from Tommy Lasorda, Lasorda again, Lee Elia, Jim Mora, and Hal McRae.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Bevacquas:
Stefan’s Bevacqua: This is the best/worst Wheaties commercial of all time.
Josh’s Bevacqua: A short history of Rusty Staub’s rib-eating contest.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss Bruce Jenner’s interview with Diane Sawyer and his heyday as an Olympic athlete and commercial pitchman. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
You can email us at email@example.com.