Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about whether the top-seeded Warriors and Hawks will live up to their regular-season performances in the NBA playoffs. They’re then joined by economist Andrew Zimbalist to assess the rising opposition to Boston’s bid to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. Finally, they discuss the New York Islanders’ early success in the NHL playoffs in their last season in Nassau Coliseum.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- In Slate, Martin Johnson argues that the Golden State Warriors are the best team since Jordan’s Bulls.
- The Vegas odds for the NBA playoffs.
- USA Today’s February profile of the Hawks’ Kyle Korver.
- Andrew Zimbalist’s book, Circus Maximus: The Economic Gamble Behind Hosting the Olympics and the World Cup.
- Back in January, Zimbalist argued that “Boston would be lucky to lose the Olympics competition.”
- Zimbalist’s 2012 Atlantic piece, “3 Reasons Why Hosting the Olympics Is a Loser’s Game.”
- A bunch of cities have dropped out of the running to host the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- The Islanders beat the Capitals in overtime to win Game 3 of their Eastern Conference playoff series.
- Joe Posnanski and Jon Hock reminisce about Nassau Coliseum.
- The advanced hockey stats Corsi and Fenwick explained.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Peter Pucks:
Mike’s Peter Puck: Checking in on your favorite Islanders mascot, Sparky the Dragon.
Stefan’s Peter Puck: When pro wrestling came to North Korea.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca examine the widespread outrage over Edmonton’s victory in the NHL’s draft lottery. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
You can email us at email@example.com.