Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
This episode is brought to you by The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, the new documentary series from HBO, airing Sundays at 8 p.m. only on HBO.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca are joined by ESPN.com’s Kevin Pelton to talk about the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference and the state of stats in pro sports. They also discuss Larry Sanders’ struggle with depression and anxiety and his decision to leave the NBA and walk away from tens of millions of dollars. Finally, Ben Rothenberg joins the show to examine the scourge of match-fixing in tennis.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- The schedule of events at the 2015 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
- ESPN’s Great Analytics Rankings.
- SI.com’s Ben Golliver offers 50 takeaways from Sloan.
- Kyle Wagner’s Deadspin piece, “‘Sports Analytics’ Is Bullshit Now.”
- Larry Sanders’ article and video for The Players’ Tribune, “Why I Walked Away from the NBA.”
- ESPN.com’s Kevin Arnovitz on Sanders’ struggle with anxiety and depression.
- In 2013, Royce White came on Hang Up and Listen to talk about mental health issues in pro sports.
- David Haglund’s Slate feature, “Why Isn’t Delonte West in the NBA?”
- Ben Rothenberg’s Slate piece on match-fixing in tennis.
- Ian Dorward covers match-fixing allegations on his website sportdw.com.
- Listen to Rothenberg’s podcast No Challenges Remaining and sign up for his tennis fantasy game Racket Rally.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Peter Gojowczyks:
Mike’s Gojowczyk: How good was White Sox legend Minnie Minoso?
Stefan’s Gojowczyk: All hail the Somalian bandy team.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the deaths of NBA players Anthony Mason, Jerome Kersey, and Earl Lloyd. Slate Plus members get an ad-free version of this podcast with bonus segments. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at email@example.com.