Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Kate Fagan, Stefan Fatsis, and Josh Levin by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and special guest Kate Fagan talk about Kentucky’s close call against Notre Dame, UConn’s continued dominance, and other stories from the men’s and women’s NCAA basketball tournaments. They also discuss Abby Wambach, Hope Solo, and the U.S. women’s national soccer team, and assess the state of the gay athlete almost two years after Jason Collins came out on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Kate Fagan’s website and her author page on ESPNW.
- Kate’s memoir The Reappearing Act.
- FiveThirtyEight’s Hot Takedown podcast.
- Kentucky barely edged Notre Dame in a classic Elite Eight matchup, while the UConn women trounced Texas in the Sweet 16.
- Kate’s column on the swagger of UConn.
- Grantland’s Brian Phillips on the existential conflict of the NCAA in 2015.
- Kate’s profile of Abby Wambach.
- Jeff Carlisle’s piece for ESPNW on whether Wambach is taking advantage of a double standard.
- Hope Solo was suspended by U.S. Soccer for 30 days after her husband was charged with DUI while driving a team van.
- Sports Illustrated’s cover story on Jason Collins’ decision to come out.
- Michael Sam says there are a lot of gay players in the NFL.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly AHM Mustafa Kumals:
Stefan’s AHM Mustafa Kumal: Why do some female athletes still wear skirts?
Kate’s AHM Mustafa Kumal: Catching up on the storylines in the women’s NCAA tournament, including Tennessee’s seniors playing for their former coach Pat Summitt.
Josh’s AHM Mustafa Kumal: The continued misadventures of CBS announcer Verne Lundquist.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Kate Fagan discuss Kevin Durant’s latest foot ailment and the star player’s long-term prognosis. Slate Plus members get an ad free version of this podcast with bonus segments. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Podcast production and edit this week by Audrey Quinn.