Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
This episode is brought to you by The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, the new documentary series from HBO, airing Sundays at 8 p.m. only on HBO.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca are joined by Ken Pomeroy to talk about why college basketball has slowed to a crawl and whether the sport needs an overhaul. They also discuss the decline of the running back in professional football. Finally, they interview Oscar-winning filmmaker Errol Morris about his series of short sports documentaries for ESPN.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Follow Ken Pomeroy on Twitter and visit his website KenPom.com.
- Sports Illustrated’s Seth Davis says college basketball is in crisis.
- The Washington Post and ESPN the Magazine both wrote about the game’s slowdown.
- The New York Times profiles Iona coach Tim Cluess, who blames control freaks on the sidelines for college basketball’s slow pace.
- Men’s college basketball will experiment with a shorter, 30-second shot clock.
- Running back Maurice Jones-Drew is retiring from the NFL at age 29.
- LeSean McCoy was traded by the Eagles and signed a new contract with the Bills.
- Chase Stuart of Football Perspective on the running back age curve.
- In Sports on Earth, Mike Tanier explains that rookie contracts make it hard for running backs to get a big payday.
- In 2012, Robert Weintraub argued in Slate that it’s immoral to prevent running backs from joining the NFL straight out of high school.
- The landing page for Grantland’s Errol Morris Week.
- Slate’s Jeremy Stahl on Morris’ six new documentary shorts for ESPN.
- Morris’ synopsis of Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control.
- Mark Singer’s New Yorker profile of Morris has some background on Vernon, Florida and Nub City.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Interrotrons:
Mike’s Interrotron: Coaches who brag about how they don’t know how to tweet.
Stefan’s Interrotron: Why can’t get a Welsh soccer player get her visa application approved?
Josh’s Interrotron: Why are dudes so obsessed with how Ronda Rousey would fare against male fighters?
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the sanctions against Syracuse and its basketball coach Jim Boeheim. Slate Plus members get an ad-free version of this podcast with bonus segments. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at email@example.com.