Listen to Dummy with David Goldblatt, Danny Karbassiyoon, and George Quraishi by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
Throughout the World Cup, Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen will have a special treat: a podcast extra from our soccer-obsessed friends at Howler magazine.
On today’s episode of Dummy, David Goldblatt, Danny Karbassiyoon, and George Quraishi talk Dutch diving and gamesmanship as well as the rumors that a couple members of Team USA impressed European scouts. Alex Abnos sends in his dispatch from a bus station in Rio, a final look at the U.S. team as they say goodbye to Brazil. Sean Jacobs, New School professor and founder of the blog Africa Is a Country, joins to talk about the behind-the-scenes conflicts faced by some of the African teams at this World Cup. Finally, the group discusses the fact that the crowds at World Cup stadiums have not been representative of Brazil's typical soccer-watching demographics.
Here are links to some of the topics mentioned on the show:
- Tim Krul’s intimidation tactics, and a defense of his gamesmanship.
- Arjen Robben's diving.
- Louis Van Gaal: master tactician?
- A weak World Cup for Premier League players?
- Is DeAndre Yedlin the USA's breakout star?
- MLS standouts poised for move.
- Trouble at the Nigerian FA.
- How did money affect Ghana, Nigeria, and Cameroon in this World Cup?
- Tension and suspensions in the Ghana camp.
- Cameroon players strike for wages.
- Football Is a Country's World Cup African XI.
- Ivory Coast's Yaya Touré on unfairness toward African teams.
- Football Is a Country Twitter.
- Lack of diversity in World Cup stadiums.
- History of the substitute goalkeeper.
- The Colombian team's homecoming.
Podcast production and edit by Matthew Nelson and Ryan Catanese.
You can email the Howler crew at email@example.com.
TODAY IN SLATE
Don’t Worry, Obama Isn’t Sending U.S. Troops to Fight ISIS
But the next president might.
Amazon Is Officially a Gadget Company. Here Are Its Six New Devices.
The Human Need to Find Connections in Everything
It’s the source of creativity and delusions. It can harm us more than it helps us.
How Much Should You Loathe NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell?
Here are the facts.
The Plight of the Pre-Legalization Marijuana Offender
What should happen to weed users and dealers busted before the stuff was legal?