Listen to “Hang Up and Listen NCAA Extra” with Josh Levin and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this Hang Up and Listen NCAA Extra, Josh Levin and Mike Pesca talk to Ken Pomeroy of KenPom.com about Thursday’s upsets, rooting for your algorithm, and why a No. 16 seed should’ve beaten a No. 1 by now.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- You can see all of Ken Pomeroy’s rankings at KenPom.com.
- Check out Ken’s bracket on Deadspin.
- Thursday’s big upsets: Dayton over Ohio State, Harvard over Cincinnati, North Dakota State over Oklahoma.
- Not quite an upset: No. 1 seed Florida beat No. 16 seed Albany by 12 points.
- In 2012 Ken wrote: “This is the year a 1 loses to a 16.” (He was wrong.)
- In the Wall Street Journal, Ben Cohen explained how a 16-over-1 upset will happen.
- Ken’s piece for Deadspin on Tennessee: “Is a No. 11 Seed Actually Among the Best Teams in the Country?”
- FiveThirtyEight.com made its NCAA predictions by creating a composite of Ken’s ratings and four other college hoops predictions.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at email@example.com.
TODAY IN SLATE
The Most Terrifying Thing About Ebola
The disease threatens humanity by preying on humanity.
I Bought the Huge iPhone. I’m Already Thinking of Returning It.
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Students Aren’t Going to College Football Games as Much Anymore
And schools are getting worried.
Two Damn Good, Very Different Movies About Soldiers Returning From War
Lifetime Didn’t Think the Steubenville Rape Case Was Dramatic Enough
So they added a little self-immolation.
Blacks Don’t Have a Corporal Punishment Problem
Americans do. But when blacks exhibit the same behaviors as others, it becomes part of a greater black pathology.