Listen to “Hang Up and Listen NCAA Extra” with Josh Levin and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this Hang Up and Listen NCAA Extra, Josh Levin and Mike Pesca talk to Ken Pomeroy of KenPom.com about Thursday’s upsets, rooting for your algorithm, and why a No. 16 seed should’ve beaten a No. 1 by now.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- You can see all of Ken Pomeroy’s rankings at KenPom.com.
- Check out Ken’s bracket on Deadspin.
- Thursday’s big upsets: Dayton over Ohio State, Harvard over Cincinnati, North Dakota State over Oklahoma.
- Not quite an upset: No. 1 seed Florida beat No. 16 seed Albany by 12 points.
- In 2012 Ken wrote: “This is the year a 1 loses to a 16.” (He was wrong.)
- In the Wall Street Journal, Ben Cohen explained how a 16-over-1 upset will happen.
- Ken’s piece for Deadspin on Tennessee: “Is a No. 11 Seed Actually Among the Best Teams in the Country?”
- FiveThirtyEight.com made its NCAA predictions by creating a composite of Ken’s ratings and four other college hoops predictions.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
Smash and Grab
Will competitive Senate contests in Kansas and South Dakota lead to more late-breaking races in future elections?
Even When They Go to College, the Poor Sometimes Stay Poor
Here’s Just How Far a Southern Woman May Have to Drive to Get an Abortion
The Most Ingenious Teaching Device Ever Invented
Marvel’s Civil War Is a Far-Right Paranoid Fantasy
It’s also a mess. Can the movies do better?
Sprawl, Decadence, and Environmental Ruin in Nevada
An All-Female Mission to Mars
As a NASA guinea pig, I verified that women would be cheaper to launch than men.