Listen to Hang Up and Listen Olympics Extra with Mike Pesca and Josh Levin by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this Hang Up and Listen Olympics Extra, Mike Pesca and Josh Levin discuss the Olympic debut of women's ski jumping and Shaun White's loss in the men's halfpipe competition.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- A compendium of the best James Bond skiing clips.
- Germany’s Carina Vogt won the first-ever gold medal in women’s ski jumping.
- In the Washington Post, David Epstein writes about sex differences in sports, including in ski jumping.
- Justin Peters’ Slate piece on whether female ski jumpers will be able to soar farther than their male counterparts.
- The Wall Street Journal’s Matthew Futterman writes a piece headlined, “At Last, There’s Equality in Ski Jumping—Sort Of.”
- How ski-jump scoring works.
- Iouri Podladtchikov of Switzerland, aka I-Pod, won gold in men’s halfpipe; Shaun White came in fourth.
- Remember … Charles Jewtraw?
- Hooray—Mike is now on staff at Slate!
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
I was hit by a teacher in an East Texas public school. It taught me nothing.
Chief Justice John Roberts Says $1,000 Can’t Buy Influence in Congress. Looks Like He’s Wrong.
After This Merger, One Company Could Control One-Third of the Planet's Beer Sales
Hidden Messages in Corporate Logos
If You’re Outraged by the NFL, Follow This Satirical Blowhard on Twitter
Giving Up on Goodell
How the NFL lost the trust of its most loyal reporters.