Listen to Hang Up and Listen Olympics Extra with Mike Pesca and Josh Levin by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this Hang Up and Listen Olympics Extra, Mike Pesca and Josh Levin discuss the Olympic debut of women's ski jumping and Shaun White's loss in the men's halfpipe competition.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- A compendium of the best James Bond skiing clips.
- Germany’s Carina Vogt won the first-ever gold medal in women’s ski jumping.
- In the Washington Post, David Epstein writes about sex differences in sports, including in ski jumping.
- Justin Peters’ Slate piece on whether female ski jumpers will be able to soar farther than their male counterparts.
- The Wall Street Journal’s Matthew Futterman writes a piece headlined, “At Last, There’s Equality in Ski Jumping—Sort Of.”
- How ski-jump scoring works.
- Iouri Podladtchikov of Switzerland, aka I-Pod, won gold in men’s halfpipe; Shaun White came in fourth.
- Remember … Charles Jewtraw?
- Hooray—Mike is now on staff at Slate!
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
Scalia’s Liberal Streak
The conservative justice’s most brilliant—and surprisingly progressive—moments on the bench.
Colorado Is Ground Zero for the Fight Over Female Voters
There’s a Way to Keep Ex-Cons Out of Prison That Pays for Itself. Why Don’t More States Use It?
The NFL Explains How It Sees “the Role of the Female”
The Music Industry Is Ignoring Some of the Best Black Women Singing R&B
Theo’s Joint and Vanessa’s Whiskey
No sitcom did the “Very Special Episode” as well as The Cosby Show.
The Other Huxtable Effect
Thirty years ago, The Cosby Show gave us one of TV’s great feminists.