Listen to “Hang Up and Listen” with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the Sochi Olympics, with topics including NBC’s treatment of Bode Miller, the weather in Sochi, and the Americans’ troublesome speedskating suits. They also talk about the release of Ted Wells’ report on the Miami Dolphins’ locker room and ponder what the next steps should be for the NFL.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Josh’s Slate piece on NBC’s push to make Bode Miller cry.
- Also in Slate, Justin Peters explained what NBC missed by focusing on Miller’s dead brother.
- Emily Bazelon’s piece on Miller’s strange custody battle.
- In 2006, Miller was portrayed as a partier and drinker.
- In the Wall Street Journal, the International Olympic Committee’s Jean-Claude Killy explains why he sounded a “red alert” about Sochi’s preparedness.
- There wasn’t enough snow at the Vancouver Games four years ago.
- Ski cross racer Maria Komissarova broke her spine during a training run in Sochi.
- Justin Peters asked whether Under Armour’s speedskating suits were the worst product placement in sports history.
- The U.S. speedskaters went back to their old suits with much the same results.
- Willa Paskin’s appreciation of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir.
- Ted Wells’ report on the Miami Dolphins’ locker room.
- Deadspin collected the worst stuff from the investigation.
- Bazelon wrote that the Dolphins investigation is “the best report on bullying I’ve ever read.”
- Richie Incognito’s latest adventures on Twitter.
- Incognito won over some hearts and minds after his interview with Jay Glazer.
- Jonathan Martin’s interview with Tony Dungy was less well received.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly twizzles:
Stefan’s twizzle: Where did the term “kiss and cry” come from?
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Casey Butterly.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.