Listen to Hang Up and Listen Olympics Extra with Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and June Thomas by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In the first Hang Up and Listen Olympics Extra, Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and June Thomas discuss the opening ceremony of the Sochi Games and the political messages therein.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- The New York Times’ review of the opening ceremony.
- Pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva publicly supported Russia’s gay propaganda law.
- Figure skater Irina Rodnina, who helped light the Olympic torch, sent out a racist tweet about the Obamas.Alleged Putin mistress Alina Kabayeva was another of the torchbearers.
- International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said politicians should follow the lead of athletes and be tolerant and understanding.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.