Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about the Seattle Seahawks’ crushing win over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII, with topics including Seattle’s amazing defense, Russell Wilson’s star power, and how Peyton Manning’s poor performance affects his place in the football firmament. They also discuss the legacy of David Stern, who stepped aside last week after 30 years as the commissioner of the NBA.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Josh’s Slate piece on the Seahawks’ destruction of the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII.
- To Stefan’s delight, this was the first game in NFL history to end with a final score of 43–8.
- Chris Brown’s Grantland piece on the Seattle defense.
- The Seahawks claimed that they figured out how to read Peyton Manning’s eyes.
- Seattle’s salary cap ledger.
- Jason Whitlock’s ESPN.com column on David Stern.
- Charles P. Pierce’s Grantland story, “A Commissioner’s Legacy.”
- Tommy Craggs’ 2009 Slate piece on Stern, “King NBA.”
- The NBA’s player dress code.
- Stern’s thoughts on the one-and-done rule.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Raymondo Giuseppi Giovanni Baptiste Malavasis:
Mike’s Raymondo Giuseppi Giovanni Baptiste Malavasi: A dispatch from FrancesaCon.
Stefan’s Raymondo Giuseppi Giovanni Baptiste Malavasi: A short history of doping in the Winter Paralympics.
Josh’s Raymondo Giuseppi Giovanni Baptiste Malavasi: Catching up with Dick Vitale, who repeats himself and has a statue in Sarasota, Fla.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Casey Butterly.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
Blacks Don’t Have a Corporal Punishment Problem
Americans do. But when blacks exhibit the same behaviors as others, it becomes part of a greater black pathology.
I Bought the Huge iPhone. I’m Already Thinking of Returning It.
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Lifetime Didn’t Think the Steubenville Rape Case Was Dramatic Enough
So they added a little self-immolation.
Two Damn Good, Very Different Movies About Soldiers Returning From War
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
- ESPN Story Alleges Ravens, NFL Are Scapegoating Ray Rice in Coverup
- Dean of Islamic Studies at University of Karachi is Murdered Amid "Blasphemy" Allegations
The Most Terrifying Thing About Ebola
The disease threatens humanity by preying on humanity.