Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about the Seattle Seahawks’ crushing win over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII, with topics including Seattle’s amazing defense, Russell Wilson’s star power, and how Peyton Manning’s poor performance affects his place in the football firmament. They also discuss the legacy of David Stern, who stepped aside last week after 30 years as the commissioner of the NBA.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Josh’s Slate piece on the Seahawks’ destruction of the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII.
- To Stefan’s delight, this was the first game in NFL history to end with a final score of 43–8.
- Chris Brown’s Grantland piece on the Seattle defense.
- The Seahawks claimed that they figured out how to read Peyton Manning’s eyes.
- Seattle’s salary cap ledger.
- Jason Whitlock’s ESPN.com column on David Stern.
- Charles P. Pierce’s Grantland story, “A Commissioner’s Legacy.”
- Tommy Craggs’ 2009 Slate piece on Stern, “King NBA.”
- The NBA’s player dress code.
- Stern’s thoughts on the one-and-done rule.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Raymondo Giuseppi Giovanni Baptiste Malavasis:
Mike’s Raymondo Giuseppi Giovanni Baptiste Malavasi: A dispatch from FrancesaCon.
Stefan’s Raymondo Giuseppi Giovanni Baptiste Malavasi: A short history of doping in the Winter Paralympics.
Josh’s Raymondo Giuseppi Giovanni Baptiste Malavasi: Catching up with Dick Vitale, who repeats himself and has a statue in Sarasota, Fla.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Casey Butterly.
You can email us at email@example.com.
TODAY IN SLATE
Here’s Where We Stand With Ebola
Even experienced international disaster responders are shocked at how bad it’s gotten.
It’s Legal for Obama to Bomb Syria Because He Says It Is
Divestment Is Fine but Mostly Symbolic. There’s a Better Way for Universities to Fight Climate Change.
I Stand With Emma Watson on Women’s Rights
Even though I know I’m going to get flak for it.
It Is Very Stupid to Compare Hope Solo to Ray Rice
In Defense of HR
Startups and small businesses shouldn’t skip over a human resources department.