Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca with the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk with author Nicholas Dawidoff about his new book Collision Low Crossers: A Year Inside the Turbulent World of NFL Football. They’re also joined by former New York Jet Jim Leonhard to discuss what it’s like to play for Rex Ryan and how he manages the risk of a career as a professional football player.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Nicholas Dawidoff’s book Collision Low Crossers.
- In an excerpt from Collision Low Crossers on Slate, Dawidoff describes how it felt to call the plays for the New York Jets defense during a preseason game.
- More excerpts from Collision Low Crossers via Newsday, Only a Game, and Deadspin.
- In the New York Times, Mark Leibovich called Collision Low Crossers “an instant classic” of behind-the-scenes NFL reportage.
- The 2011 New York Jets finished a disappointing 8-8.
- Back in 2010, Stefan wrote for Slate about Rex Ryan and the Jets’ appearance on Hard Knocks.
- Stefan’s book A Few Seconds of Panic: A Sportswriter Plays in the NFL.
- Jim Leonhard’s official website and Twitter page.
- Leonhard now plays for the Buffalo Bills.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Casey Butterly.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
Here’s Where We Stand With Ebola
Even experienced international disaster responders are shocked at how bad it’s gotten.
It Is Very, Very Stupid to Compare Hope Solo to Ray Rice
The U.S. Is So, So Far Behind Europe on Clean Energy
Even if You Don’t Like Batman, You Might Like Gotham
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.