Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Nate Jackson, and Mike Wise by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Audible. Get a 30-day free trial by signing up at audiblepodcast.com/hangup. Our pick this week is Pilgrim’s Wilderness: A True Story of Faith and Madness on the Alaska Frontier by Tom Kizzia.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Nate Jackson, and Mike Wise discuss Alabama’s 49-42 victory over Texas A&M and Johnny Manziel, plus the latest shenanigans in college football as reported by Sports Illustrated and Yahoo Sports. They move onto the pro game and break down the Seattle Seahawks’ 29-3 win over the San Francisco 49ers, the latest on helmet hits and concussions, Robert Griffin III, and other topics. Finally, they discuss Nate’s new book, Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile.
- Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Alabama beat Texas A&M 49-42.
- ESPN.com posted a photo of Johnny Manziel signing photographs for a broker in Florida.
- Wright Thompson’s ESPN the Magazine profile of Manziel.
- Greg Bishop of the New York Times addresses “scandal fatigue” in college sports.
- Sports Illustrated’s five-part series on Oklahoma State’s football program.
- Yahoo Sports revealed that several former college players received cash via NFL agents.
- Yahoo columnist Dan Wetzel says the scandals reveal the folly of the NCAA.
- Richard Sherman and the Seattle Seahawks’ defense shut down Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers’ offense.
- ESPN the Magazine wrote about the Seahawks’ kinder, gentler management philosophy.
- Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio said that the enforcement of rules governing helmet hits was a mixed bag on Sunday.
- The Twitter feed @NFLConcussions puts the count this season at 64 through Sunday.
- Doug Farrar of SI.com discussed the NFL’s politics of diversion regarding brain injuries.
- Robert Griffin III did not play well in the Washington NFL team’s loss at Green Bay.
- In Slate, Jack Hamilton wrote that RG3 was about to embark on the most scrutinized season in American pro sports history.
- Gatorade produced a documentary about Griffin’s recovery from ACL surgery.
- Nate’s review in the Washington Post of Dave Sheinin’s book, RG3: The Promise.
- Nate’s book, Slow Getting Up.
- The New York Times review of Slow Getting Up.
- In an excerpt on Slate, Nate wrote about taking HGH near the end of his career.
- In an excerpt in the Cleveland Scene, Nate described his miserable tryout with the Cleveland Browns.
- In an excerpt on the MMQB, Nate detailed the physical and mental toll of playing in the NFL.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Bronco Bettys:
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can e-mail us at email@example.com