Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Stamps.com. Click on the radio microphone and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about Florida Gulf Coast’s unlikely journey to the Sweet 16 and the upset-filled opening rounds of the NCAA tournament. Next, they are joined by Thurl Bailey to discuss Survive and Advance, Jonathan Hock’s new “30 for 30” documentary on Jim Valvano and North Carolina State’s 1983 championship team. Finally, they speak with Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl about the U.S. men’s soccer team’s snow game against Costa Rica and the quest to qualify for the 2014 World Cup.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Florida Gulf Coast University is the first No. 15 seed to advance to the Sweet 16.
- Yahoo’s Eric Adelson on how FGCU coach Andy Enfield has transformed the program.
- Statistical analyst Drew Cannon is at the beck and call of Butler coach Brad Stevens.
- Scott Cacciola’s New York Times story on the parity in this year’s tournament.
- Point spreads are on the decline, reports Erik Matuszewski in Bloomberg.
- In Slate, Josh says Harvard is part of the problem with college sports.
- ESPN 30 for 30’s Survive and Advance.
- Director Jonathan Hock talked about the film on ESPN Front Row.
- In 2008, USA Today remembered the Wolfpack’s 1983 championship run.
- Thurl Bailey was the leading scorer and rebounder on the 1983 N.C. State team.
- Follow Thurl Bailey on Twitter.
- Bailey’s game-winner advanced N.C. State to the third round of the 1983 tournament.
- Lorenzo Charles’ game-winning dunk against Houston.
- Video of Jim Valvano’s 1993 ESPY speech.
- Grant Wahl recapped the U.S. men’s soccer team’s snowy 1-0 win over Costa Rica in Sports Illustrated.
- Grant spoke with DaMarcus Beasley about Tuesday night’s game against Mexico.
- Grant took a photo of the whiteout conditions during the game.
- Costa Rica filed a protest because of the snow.
- Brian Straus’ Sporting News exposé on the U.S. men’s national soccer team.
- The Sporting News article is a sign of progress for U.S. soccer, says forward Herculez Gomez.
- Sam Borden’s New York Times story on Landon Donovan’s soccer sabbatical.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Cleanthonys:
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo. Our intern is Eric Goldwein.
You can email us at email@example.com.