Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Stamps.com. Click on the radio microphone and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis and Mike Pesca are joined by Around the Rings editor Ed Hula to talk about the International Olympic Committee’s decision to cut wrestling from the summer games, and the sport’s future in the Olympics. Next, they discuss double-amputee Oscar Pistorius’ fall from grace and Nike’s role in mythologizing athletes. Lastly, they speak with Drexel University professor Ellen Staurowsky about the Redskins nickname controversy and the stereotyping of American Indians in sports.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Ed Hula is the founder and managing editor of Around the Rings.
- Wrestling was cut from the Olympic Games.
- Mike talks about the decision to drop wrestling on NPR’s All Things Considered.
- Here’s the IOC’s voting breakdown.
- Jason Quinley’s Slate story on why FILA needs to start lobbying.
- Double-amputee sprinter Oscar Pistorius shot and killed his girlfriend last week.
- Wikipedia’s “List of professional sportspeople convicted of crimes.”
- Michael Sokolov’s New York Times Magazine story on Pistorius.
- Nike cut ties with the “blade runner.”
- Slate’s William Saletan says Pistorius was put on a disability pedestal.
- The Wall Street Journal’s Matthew Futterman on Nike’s mythmaking.
- Other high-profile Nike-sponsored athletes who’ve been in trouble.
- The Pistorius case is a sad loss for the cause of disability, Simon Hart writes in the Telegraph.
- Ellen Staurowsky’s Drexel professor profile.
- The Redskins nickname was the focus of a symposium on American Indian stereotyping in sports.
- The Redskins’ defense of their nickname.
- A 2002 Sports Illustrated poll (debunked by Staurowsky et al.) said most American Indians aren’t bothered by the “Redskins” nickname.
- The University of North Dakota dropped its “Fighting Sioux” name.
- African team names explained.
- Origins of the nicknames for Premier League clubs.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly monkey spins:
Mike’s monkey spin: The worldwide premier of the trailer for “The Fix Is In,” starring Stellan Skarsgård, Lena Headey, Quvenzhané Wallis, and Robert Duvall.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo. Our intern is Eric Goldwein.
You can email us at email@example.com.