Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Stamps.com. Click on the radio microphone and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the Broncos’ conservative play-calling, the Falcons’ near-collapse, and quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s historic rushing day. They are also joined by HarperCollins executive editor David Hirshey to talk about the sports-writing legacy of the late Richard Ben Cramer.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Conservative play-calling may have cost the Broncos in their loss against the Ravens.
- Brian Burke defends Denver coach John Fox in the Slate-Deadspin NFL roundtable.
- In September, Burke wrote that running down the clock is “no longer a winning strategy.”
- A look at all the fourth-quarter kneeldowns in tie games since 2000.
- Stefan’s Slate-Deadspin roundtable story arguing teams should try more 60-plus-yard field goals.
- Ravens kicker Justin Tucker took an illegal practice kick before his 47-yard game-winner.
- Quarterback Colin Kaepernick rushed for 181 yards in the 49ers’ 45-31 win over the Packers.
- Jason Gay recaps the NFL’s exciting weekend in the Wall Street Journal.
- Mike’s NPR piece on Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Richard Ben Cramer, who passed away last week.
- Cramer’s New York Times obituary.
- Cramer’s 1986 Esquire feature, “What Do You Think of Ted Williams Now?”
- On the blog Bronx Banter, David Hirshey explains the editing process behind the Williams piece.
- Cramer never finished a planned biography of Alex Rodriguez and was sued by his publisher to recoup the advance.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly “SYPHILITIC SON OF A BITCH!”:
Mike’s SYPHILITIC SON OF A BITCH: A telegraph error (maybe) helped Gavvy Cravath become one of baseball’s premier power hitters in the dead-ball era.
Stefan’s SYPHILITIC SON OF A BITCH: Now that the 2013 Baseball Hall of Fame vote is over, it’s time to check out the candidates for the Baseball Reliquary’s Shrine of the Eternals.
Josh’s SYPHILITIC SON OF A BITCH: Who has the record for the longest baseball throw ever?
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo. Our intern is Eric Goldwein.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
The Self-Made Man
The story of America’s most pliable, pernicious, irrepressible myth.
The GOP Senate Candidate in Iowa Doesn’t Want Voters to Know Just How Conservative She Really Is
Does Your Child Have “Sluggish Cognitive Tempo”? Or Is That Just a Disorder Made Up to Scare You?
The Supreme Court, Throughout Its History, Has Been a Massive Disappointment
Why Indians in America Are Mad for India’s New Prime Minister
Now Stare. Don’t Stop.
The perfect political wife’s loving gaze in campaign ads.
You Deserve a Pre-cation
The smartest job perk you’ve never heard of.