Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and special guest Mike Schur by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
This episode of Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by GoToMeeting with HD Faces. Click on the Try It Free button and use the promo code HANGUP to get a 30-day free trial.
Hang Up and Listen is also brought to you by Stamps.com. Click on the radio microphone and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and special guest Mike Schur of Parks and Rec and Fire Joe Morgan discuss the latest on the Jeremy Lin free-agency saga. They also talk about the Freeh report, Joe Paterno’s role in the Sandusky scandal, and whether Penn State football should get the death penalty. Finally, Lexicon Valley's Mike Vuolo joins the show for a conversation about the enduring appeal of Abbott and Costello’s “Who’s on First?”
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- The glorious archives of Fire Joe Morgan.
- The Knicks reportedly won’t match the Houston Rockets’ offer sheet for Jeremy Lin.
Lin is better than Raymond Felton.
- The Freeh report revealed the shocking behavior of Penn State administrators who didn’t report Jerry Sandusky to authorities.
- Rick Reilly says he was a fool for canonizing Joe Paterno.
- Sally Jenkins says Paterno was a liar.
- Sports Illustrated’s Jack McCallum regrets fawning over Sandusky in 1999.
- Bill James has some unpopular opinions Joe Paterno.
- Josh’s Slate article arguing that Penn State should voluntarily shut down its football program for a year or two.
- Dave Zirin lays out the case against abolishing football at Penn State.
- Jerry Seinfeld’s analysis of Abbott and Costello’s “Who’s on First?”
- A version of the “Who’s on First?” routine.
- A history of “Who’s on First?” including its origins as “The Baker Scene.”
- The Kids in the Hall demonstration of how to short-circuit the “Who the First?” routine.
- Roy Hibbert asked to appear on Parks and Rec.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Schrempfs:
Josh’s Schrempf: The territorial rights controversy that’s threatening to tear the American Ultimate Disc League apart.
Mike Schur’s Schrempf: Bud Selig is wrong: The appetite for more replay in baseball is high.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
Here’s Where We Stand With Ebola
Even experienced international disaster responders are shocked at how bad it’s gotten.
Why Are Lighter-Skinned Latinos and Asians More Likely to Vote Republican?
A Woman Who Escaped the Extreme Babymaking Christian Fundamentalism of Quiverfull
Subprime Loans Are Back
And believe it or not, that’s a good thing.
It Is Very Stupid to Compare Hope Solo to Ray Rice
In Defense of HR
Startups and small businesses shouldn’t skip over a human resources department.