Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and John Swansburg by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
This episode of Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Bing, which now integrates Facebook and Twitter with your search results.
This episode is also brought to you by Stamps.com. Go to Stamps.com, click on the radio microphone, and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and guest panelist John Swansburg talk about the amazing run of New York Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey and why we’re so fascinated by the dancing, darting pitch. They’re also joined by Neena Chaudhry of the National Women’s Law Center to discuss the past and future of Title IX. Finally, they assess the Dream Team upon the 20th anniversary of “the greatest team ever assembled in the history of team sports.”
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- The numbers behind New York Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey’s amazing run.
- Dickey is throwing a faster knuckleball this season.
- The Mets pitcher is an inspiration to the few remaining knuckleballers in the minor leagues.
- An excerpt from Dickey’s memoir Wherever I Wind Up.
- Frequent Hang Up guest Jon Wertheim wrote a pair of pieces on Dickey for Sports Illustrated.
- The Wikipedia entry for Title IX.
- The numbers on how girls’ participation in sports has exploded since Title IX.
- ESPNW's Title IX page and five myths about Title IX.
- President Obama calls Title IX a “springboard for success.”
- Our guest Neena Chaudhry’s biography and articles.
- A 2011 New York Times piece on how colleges circumvent Title IX.
- A previous Hang Up segment on the controversy over whether competitive cheer should be considered a sport for Title IX purposes.
- Trailer for NBA TV’s documentary The Dream Team.
- Jack McCallum’s book Dream Team.
- GQ's oral history of the Dream Team.
- Inside Isiah Thomas' Dream Team snub.
- Video of the Dream Team’s romp over Cuba and gold-medal-game win over Croatia.
- The NBA wants to create a World Cup of Basketball and make the Olympics a small-time tournament.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly mom jorts:
- John’s mom jorts: The sad decline of the ticket stub.
- Stefan’s mom jorts: Remembering Alkis Panagoulias, the forgotten (and profane) Greek pioneer of U.S. soccer.
- Josh’s mom jorts: You liked that two-way dead heat between Allyson Felix and Janeba Tarmoh? You’ll love this three-way dead heat in a 2011 greyhound race.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.