Hang Up and Listen: The All Greek to Me Edition
Slate’s sports podcast on the NBA Finals, the U.S. Open, and Euro 2012.
Posted Monday, June 18, 2012, at 5:43 PM
Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
This episode of Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Bing, which now integrates Facebook and Twitter with your search results.
This episode is also brought to you by Stamps.com. Go to Stamps.com, click on the radio microphone, and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about how the Heat have taken a 2-1 lead over the Thunder in the NBA Finals. They also discuss Webb Simpson’s one-shot win in the U.S. Open and the joys of watching the world’s greatest golfers play really poorly. Finally, they check in on Euro 2012—the games, the Greeks, the virulent racism.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- The Heat took a 2-1 lead over the Thunder in the NBA Finals.
- Should the refs have called a foul on LeBron James at the end of Game 2?
- Why did Scott Brooks bench Kevin Durant with four fouls in Game 3?
- Webb Simpson won the U.S. Open by a shot over Graeme McDowell and Michael Thompson.
- Golf.com’s post-U.S. Open roundtable.
- Risk-averse golfers make birdie putts of equal distance less often than par putts.
- Deadspin on golf fans’ hatred of Chris Berman.
- Seventeen-year-old Beau Hossler contended at the U.S. Open.
- The Guardian calls Greece vs. Germany “the ultimate grudge match.”
- The BBC documentary Stadiums of Hate, on racism in international soccer.
- The Dutch team heard monkey chants at a practice, while Croatian fans allegedly monkey-chanted and threw a banana on the field.
- The giant “This Is Russia” banner that was unfurled during the Russia-Poland game.
- NBA commissioner David Stern asked Jim Rome: “Have you stopped beating your wife yet?”
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly random cuts:
Mike’s random cut: The strangeness of college baseball records.
Josh’s random cut: Buy the movie rights to Arnold Palmer and the Golfin’ Dolphin for $1.5 million.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stefan Fatsis is the author of Word Freak and A Few Seconds of Panic, a regular guest on NPR's All Things Considered, and a panelist on Slate's sports podcast "Hang Up and Listen." You can email him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter.
Mike Pesca is a correspondent for National Public Radio who covers mostly sports.