To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
Gabfest T-shirts are now available in the Slate store.
We're auctioning off two pairs of tickets to play a real-life room escape game with the Gabfesters in San Francisco at noon EST on Dec. 11. Send your bid for one pair to firstname.lastname@example.org by Dec. 2. Face value is $100 a pair. One pair will go to the highest bidder, and the other pair will go to the second-highest bidder. All proceeds beyond the ticket price will be donated to the registered charity of the winner's choice.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss how the Iranian nuclear deal could cause a realignment of Middle Eastern politics, what religious rights corporations have, and whether Harry Reid's filibuster rule change will destroy the Senate.
Here are some of the links and references mentioned during this week's show:
- The Iranian nuclear deal is everything a reasonable person could hope for, Fred Kaplan writes.
- It's not clear whether the birth control methods that Hobby Lobby doesn't want to pay for are actually abortifacients, Will Saletan writes.
- The Religious Freedom Restoration Act sounds like a Republican bill, but it was actually sponsored by liberals.
- It was time for the filibuster to die, Emily argues.
- John writes that filibuster reform officially marks the death of the old Senate.
John chatters about Richard Paul Pavlick, who was almost Kennedy's assassin.
David wonders where in his house he should put the TV to minimize sloth. Post your suggestions on our Facebook page.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Rebecca Cohen.
TODAY IN SLATE
Don’t Worry, Obama Isn’t Sending U.S. Troops to Fight ISIS
But the next president might.
Amazon Is Officially a Gadget Company. Here Are Its Six New Devices.
The Human Need to Find Connections in Everything
It’s the source of creativity and delusions. It can harm us more than it helps us.
How Much Should You Loathe NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell?
Here are the facts.
The Plight of the Pre-Legalization Marijuana Offender
What should happen to weed users and dealers busted before the stuff was legal?