Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
In this weeks’ Gabfest, DoubleX editor Hanna Rosin joins Outward editor June Thomas and DoubleX managing editor Allison Benedikt to discuss the feuding Cheneys, GoldieBlox feminism, and Thanksgivukkah.
Other items discussed in the show:
- Hanna’s debate earlier this month with Caitlin Moran, Maureen Dowd, and Camille Paglia on whether it’s really “the end of men.”
- Gabfest regular Noreen Malone on the Cheney feud in the New Republic.
- Mary Cheney’s Facebook post that started the fight.
- Politico has a great profile of the situation by Jason Zengerle.
- Liz Cheney’s latest campaign ad highlighting her family values.
- The GoldieBlox Rube Goldberg video that went viral.
- The text of the GoldieBlox suit against the Beastie Boys.
- The concept video for Coin that June mentioned.
- Katy Waldman in DoubleX discusses whether GoldieBlox is really the feminist toy it claims to be.
- Also in the “toys for girls” vein: Lego Friends.
- Allison explains in DoubleX why Thanksgivukkah is “bad for Jews and bad for America.”
- BuzzFeed has a rundown of “How to Celebrate Thanksgivukkah, the Best Holiday of All Time.” Don’t forget the menurkey!
- The story of David Plotz’s mother’s Thanksgiving baking extravaganza.
Hanna loves R. Kelly—and his on-the-fly love songs for Rolling Stone. But when you’re done watching that, check out George Packer’s excellent National Book Award winner The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America.
Loyal fans of Slate’s DoubleX, please remember to like us on our Facebook page. Tell us what we should cover in the next edition.
TODAY IN SLATE
Smash and Grab
Will competitive Senate contests in Kansas and South Dakota lead to more late-breaking races in future elections?
Stop Panicking. America Is Now in Very Good Shape to Respond to the Ebola Crisis.
The 2014 Kansas City Royals Show the Value of Building a Mediocre Baseball Team
The GOP Won’t Win Any Black Votes With Its New “Willie Horton” Ad
Sleater-Kinney Was Once America’s Best Rock Band
Can it be again?
Forget Oculus Rift
This $25 cardboard box turns your phone into an incredibly fun virtual reality experience.