Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
In this week’s Gabfest, DoubleX editor Hanna Rosin joins New Republic staff writer Noreen Malone and DoubleX managing editor Allison Benedikt to discuss Elizabeth Wurtzel’s midlife confessional in New York magazine, male disdain for vocal fry, and the reaction to Hillary Clinton’s health scare.
Other items discussed in the show:
- Meghan Daum’s New Yorker piece, “My Misspent Youth.”
- Hamilton Nolan’s criticism of confessional journalism.
- Katie Rophie on how to write a good memoir.
- Noreen Malone’s take on Wurtzel’s piece.
- Wurtzel’s 2009 magazine confessional, “Failure to Launch: When Beauty Fades.”
- Lexicon Valley on vocal fry. Listen here:
- Amanda Hess on Lexicon Valley co-host Bob Garfield’s disdain for vocal fry.
- Douglas Quenqua’s New York Times piece, “Young Women Often Trendsetters in Vocal Patterns.”
Allison Benedikt endorses HBO’s Enlightened as it starts its second season.
Hanna Rosin recommends reading (or rereading) David Foster Wallace’s essay, “A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.”
Noreen Malone suggests checking out a very charming Joe Biden work the room at the Senate swearing-in ceremony and also says you must watch the 2012 documentary, The Queen of Versailles, which is now on Netflix.
Washington, D.C., Gabfest listeners: Come to our cocktail party and live Gabfest on Wed., Feb. 13 at Sixth & I.
Loyal fans of Slate’s DoubleX, please remember to like us on our Facebook page.
TODAY IN SLATE
Don’t Worry, Obama Isn’t Sending U.S. Troops to Fight ISIS
But the next president might.
The Extraordinary Amicus Brief That Attempts to Explain the Wu-Tang Clan to the Supreme Court Justices
Amazon Is Officially a Gadget Company. Here Are Its Six New Devices.
The Human Need to Find Connections in Everything
It’s the source of creativity and delusions. It can harm us more than it helps us.
How Much Should You Loathe NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell?
Here are the facts.
The Plight of the Pre-Legalization Marijuana Offender
What should happen to weed users and dealers busted before the stuff was legal?