Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
In this week’s Gabfest, DoubleX editor Hanna Rosin joins New Republic staff writer Noreen Malone and DoubleX managing editor Allison Benedikt to discuss women and guns in the wake of the Newtown tragedy; Judd Apatow’s new movie, This Is 40; and the agony (or ecstasy) of going home for the holidays.
Other items discussed in the show:
- This New York Times profile of Nancy Lanza.
- Porochista Khakpour’s essay on falling in and out of love with guns.
- Amanda Marcotte’s XX Factor post, “Sympathy for Nancy Lanza.”
- This report on the uptick of women gun users and owners.
- Dana Stevens’ pan of This Is 40.
- David Denby’s more positive review.
- Ethan Hauser’s essay, “The Total Agony of Family Time.”
Noreen Malone recommends you listen to the Nashville soundtrack.
Allison Benedikt wants you to check out Wilma Hurskainen’s photography series, Growth, and then re-enact your own old family photos if you dare.
Loyal fans of Slate’s DoubleX, please remember to like us on our Facebook page.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.