Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest with this audio player, or by using one of the other options below:
In this week’s Gabfest, DoubleX managing editor Allison Benedikt joins New Republic staff writer Noreen Malone and regular Slate contributor Jessica Grose to discuss the second presidential debate, and specifically the candidates’ answers to an audience question about equal pay; Gawker’s outing of notorious Reddit user Violentacrez and the sexist underbelly of the social news site; and the dangers of playground monkey bars.
Other items discussed in the show:
- The Binders Full of Women Tumblr.
- Amanda Marcotte’s post on Paul Ryan’s “bean” answer to a question about abortion at the V.P. debate, “Paul Ryan’s Bean Story is Not Universal.”
- Adrian Chen’s Gawker piece outing Violentacrez.
- Emily Bazelon feeling a tiny bit of sympathy for the outed troll.
- Dan Kois’ monkey bars investigation.
Jess Grose recommends the new Ben Affleck movie Argo, and specifically praises Clea Duval’s performance. She also says you should read Larissa MacFarquhar’s profile of two-time Booker prize winning author Hilary Mantel in The New Yorker.
Allison Benedikt wants you to check out young Israeli novelist Shani Boianjiu’s portrait of three young women serving in the IDF, The People of Forever Are Not Afraid.