Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest with this audio player, or by using one of the other options below:
In this week’s Gabfest, DoubleX managing editor Allison Benedikt joins New Republic staff writer Noreen Malone and DoubleX editor Hanna Rosin to discuss Naomi Wolf’s new book, Vagina: A New Biography, and the onslaught of negative reviews the book has inspired; the recent discovery of a scrap of papyrus from the 4th Century that appears to refer to Jesus’ wife; and Mindy Kaling, whose new show, The Mindy Project, premieres on Fox next week.
Other items discussed in the show:
- Ariel Levy’s review of Vagina in The New Yorker.
- The New York Times review of Vagina.
- Kat Stoeffel’s sort-of defense of the book and Wolf.
- Naomi Wolf’s first book, The Beauty Myth.
- The New York Times story, “A Faded Piece of Papyrus Refers to Jesus’ Wife”.
- David Haglund’s BrowBeat post, “Jesus Was Married?”
- New York Magazine’s Mindy Kaling cover story.
- Alyssa Rosenberg’s DoubleX post, “Is TV Really Ready for a Single Woman Who Doesn’t Want a Man?”
- Mindy Kaling’s old blog, Things I’ve Bought that I Love.
TODAY IN SLATE
Forget Oculus Rift
This $25 cardboard box turns your phone into an incredibly fun virtual reality experience.
Stop Panicking. America Is Now in Very Good Shape to Respond to the Ebola Crisis.
The 2014 Kansas City Royals Show the Value of Building a Mediocre Baseball Team
The GOP Won’t Win Any Black Votes With Its New “Willie Horton” Ad
Sleater-Kinney Was Once America’s Best Rock Band
Can it be again?