Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest with this audio player, or by using one of the other options below:
In this week’s Gabfest, DoubleX managing editor Allison Benedikt joins New Republic staff writer Noreen Malone and Slate contributor Jessica Grose to discuss prenatal depression—what it feels like and the various ways to identify and treat it; the purported objectification of athletes’ bodies at this year’s Olympics, particularly the male swimmers and the female volleyball players; and the case of Nadia Ilse, a bullied Georgia teenager who was given free cosmetic surgery.
Other items discussed in the show:
- Jessica Grose’s Slate series on prenatal depression and the accompanying survey.
- A 2006 study of both maternal and paternal prenatal depression.
- Noreen Malone’s piece on swimmer Ryan Lochte, “The Rise of the Himbo.”
- Jezebel’s “10 Reasons Why Ryan Lochte is America’s Sexiest Douchebag.”
- Tracy Clark-Flory’s Lochte take.
- BuzzFeed Shift’s compilation video of Lochte interviews.
- Photographs of women’s beach volleyball players’ behinds (with analysis!).
- Gawker’s scientific analysis of American rower Henrik Rummel’s penis.
- More on Henrik Rummel.
- Jessica Valenti’s piece on the Georgia teenager’s plastic surgery, “The Upside of Ugly.”
- Ta-Nehisi Coates’ response.
Jessica Grose implores you to check out the song “Cash, Diamond Rings, Swimming Pools” by DENA.
Noreen Malone recommends Leanne Shapton’s swimming memoir, Swimming Studies.
Allison Benedikt says that if you are ever in need of a nursing bra, go for the cheap Gilligan and OMalley ones at Target.