Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest with this audio player, or by using one of the other options below:
In this week’s Gabfest, DoubleX editor Hanna Rosin joins New Republic staff writer Noreen Malone and DoubleX managing editor Allison Benedikt to discuss the male heroes of the Aurora shooting who died saving their girlfriends’ lives; the case of Savannah Dietrich, who took to Twitter to name the two young men who sexually assaulted her; and women’s boxing, which for the first time ever is an Olympic sport.
Other items discussed in the show:
- Hanna Rosin’s “In the Aurora Theater the Men Protected the Women. What Does that Mean?”
- Susan Faludi’s book, The Terror Dream
- Amanda Hess on “Can Twitter Help Rape Victims Find Justice?”
- Feministing on the case of Chloe Rubenstein, who outed campus rapists on Facebook.
- Ariel Levy’s New Yorker profile of Olympic boxer Clarissa Shields.
- Irina Aleksander’s Atlantic profile of Olympic boxer Marlen Esparza.
- Gleason’s Gym in Brooklyn.
Noreen Malone suggests you start following Kardashian-Kierkegaard mashup account @KimKierkegaard on Twitter.
Allison Benedikt recommends the fascinating mess of a movie Margaret.
Hanna Rosin says to check out this trailer for the Paralympic Games.
TODAY IN SLATE
Forget Oculus Rift
This $25 cardboard box turns your phone into an incredibly fun virtual reality experience.
The Congressional Republican Digging Through Scientists’ Grant Proposals
The 2014 Kansas City Royals Show the Value of Building a Mediocre Baseball Team
The GOP Won’t Win Any Black Votes With Its New “Willie Horton” Ad
Whole Foods Is Desperate for Customers to Feel Warm and Fuzzy Again
I’m 25. I Have $250.03.
My doctors want me to freeze my eggs.
- NSA Is Letting its Chief Technical Officer Work 20 Hours a Week for a Private Company
- After 13 Years of U.S. Occupation, Afghanistan Opium Production Is at an All-Time High
- The Pennsylvania Fugitive Sniper Is Still at Large After 39 Days
- Oscar Pistorius Sentenced to Five Years, May Only Serve Ten Months
Smash and Grab
Will competitive Senate contests in Kansas and South Dakota lead to more late-breaking races in future elections?