Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 192 with Stephen Metcalf, Jody Rosen, Dana Stevens, and Julia Turner by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
The sponsor of today’s show is Bloodman, the new thriller by Robert Pobi. Get your copy in Kindle edition, paperback or hardcover. The show is also sponsored by Stamps.com.
In this week's Culture Gabfest, our panelists are joined by Slate music critic Jody Rosen to discuss the contributions of Donna Summer and Robin Gibb to the legacy of disco. Our critics then explore the strange appeal of The Bachelor/Bachelorette reality TV franchise and finally discuss the unique sermon-toast hybrid that is the commencement speech and note some storied examples of the form.
Here are some links to the things we discussed this week:
- Jody Rosen’s remembrance of Donna Summer for Slate, “Donna Summer, 1948-2012”
- A key event in the anti-disco movement: 1979’s Disco Demolition Night in Chicago
- The Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin duet “Je T’Aime ... Moi Non Plus.”
- The Sugarhill Gang’s “Rapper’s Delight.”
- Donna Summer’s “Love to Love you Baby,” “Last Dance,” and “I Feel Love.”
- The Bee Gees’ “Tragedy.”
- Woody Allen’s Hannah and Her Sisters.
- Conan O’Brien’s 2011 commencement speech at Dartmouth College.
- David Foster Wallace’s 2005 commencement speech at Kenyon College.
- Steve Jobs’ 2005 commencement speech at Stanford University.
- Aaron Sorkin’s 2012 commencement speech at Syracuse University.
- David Haglund’s post for Slate’s Brow Beat culture blog “Count the West Wing Lines in Aaron Sorkin’s Commencement Speech.”
Stephen’s picks: The weekly radio show “Radio Deluxe” with John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey. Also, Ella Fitzgerald singing “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered” by Rodgers and Hart from the 1940 musical Pal Joey.
Outro: Ella Fitzgerald’s rendition of “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered."
TODAY IN SLATE
The Self-Made Man
The story of America’s most pliable, pernicious, irrepressible myth.
Michigan’s Tradition of Football “Toughness” Needs to Go—Starting With Coach Hoke
Does Your Child Have “Sluggish Cognitive Tempo”? Or Is That Just a Disorder Made Up to Scare You?
The First Case of Ebola in America Has Been Diagnosed in Dallas
Windows 8 Was So Bad That Microsoft Will Skip Straight to Windows 10
Mad About Modi
Why the controversial Indian prime minister drew 19,000 cheering fans to Madison Square Garden.
You Deserve a Pre-cation
The smartest job perk you’ve never heard of.