Hello, Slatest readers.
Details continued to emerge Friday about the massacre at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon.
- Shooter Chris Harper Mercer reportedly targeted Christians during the shooting and had expressed a dislike of "organized religion" in an online profile.
- Sheriff John Hanlin, who helped supervise the response to the killings, was reported to have sent a letter to Joe Biden asserting that gun control would not prevent mass murders and to have approvingly posted a Sandy Hook conspiracy video on Facebook.
- Meanwhile, some argued dubiously that information about Mercer should not be disseminated so as to not encourage similar attackers.
In other news:
- The Vatican said that Pope Francis' meeting with Kim Davis was not an endorsement of her actions re: same-sex marriage while CNN reported that the pope met with a gay couple the day before he met with Davis.
- Forecasts for Hurricane Joaquin's impact on the East Coast got a little less dire.
- And Ted Cruz bellowed on an endless loop, filling our brains and very souls with his theatrical passion for Ronald Reagan.
Have a good day out there.