Hello, Slatest readers! Here is The News™ on Tuesday:
- The former hedge fund manager and pharmaceutical entrepreneur who is taking heat for allegedly price-gouging AIDS patients is also accused of having pulled the same stunt with kidney medication.
- Volkswagen admitted that 11 million of its cars had been given diesel engines designed to cheat emissions standards.
- A former peanut-industry executive was sentenced to 28 years in prison for his role in a salmonella outbreak linked to nine deaths.
- The New York Times reported that the U.S. military ignored evidence that some of its Afghan allies were involved in the systematic sexual abuse of boys.
- Scott Walker dropped out of the Republican presidential race. “I believe that I am being called to lead by helping to clear the field in this race so that a positive conservative message can rise to the top of the field,” he said, dubiously.
- Slate foreign policy guru Joshua Keating explained the significance of Chinese premier Xi Jinping’s visit to the United States.
- We came down on the side of Pizza Bear in the great Pizza Bear-Pizza Rat Debate of 2015.
Have a good day out there!