To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the presidential budget, Trump’s trip abroad, and a Supreme Court ruling on gerrymandering.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Ben Casselman writes in FiveThirtyEight: “Trump’s Budget Is Built on a Fantasy”
- Anne Applebaum writes in the Washington Post: “Trump’s Bizarre and Un-American Visit to Saudi Arabia”
- Jack Moore writes in Newsweek: “Trump Cancels Visit to Ancient Masada Site After Israel Refuses Helicopter Landing”
- Adam Liptak writes in the New York Times: “Justices Reject 2 Gerrymandered North Carolina Districts, Citing Racial Bias”
- Mark Joseph Stern writes in Slate: “Clarence Thomas Joins Liberals, Shocks World”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts ask what experience presidential candidates should be required to do. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Podcast production by A.C. Valdez. Links compiled by Kevin Townsend.