Dear Prudence: My friend is having an improper affair at the university where she works.

Help! Should I Tell the University My Friend Is Sleeping With a Research Student She Supervises?

Help! Should I Tell the University My Friend Is Sleeping With a Research Student She Supervises?

Advice on manners and morals.
Aug. 12 2013 2:50 PM

Sex and the University

In a live chat, Prudie advises a woman itching to spill the beans on an improper school affair.

Emily Yoffe.
Emily Yoffe

Photo by Teresa Castracane.

Emily Yoffe, aka Dear Prudence, is on weekly to chat live with readers. An edited transcript of the chat is below. (Sign up here to get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week. Read Prudie’s Slate columns here. Send questions to Prudence at

See Emily live! She will be talking to Slate editor David Plotz and taking questions at Sixth and I in Washington, D.C. on Sept. 11. For tickets and more information, click here.

Emily Yoffe: Good afternoon, everyone. I look forward to your questions.

Q. Wish I Didn't Know About Friend's Affair: I have an emotionally unstable 30-year-old friend, who has been in therapy for over a year but dismisses most of the therapist's advice. This friend, "Sarah," is a staff member at a university research center and is having an affair with one of the students. She is one of his supervisors and has influence over his grades. "Tom" is older, married with children, emotionally manipulative, and verbally abusive toward her. This affair has been ongoing for around nine months, and he says many clichéd things about his relationship with his wife. Their relationship is against university policy, and it is causing problems with other students who suspect something is going on between Tom and Sarah. Tom is treated favorably in comparison to the other students by Sarah and Sarah's boss. I have a professional relationship with the university, but am not directly affiliated. On the one hand I feel it is not my place to get involved, but feel terrible for the wife. On the other hand I feel I have an obligation to inform the university of their transgressions as it is affecting the working and learning environment. This feeling was complicated further by hearing that Tom may soon have authority over some of the other students. I have evidence of the affair from detailed text messages and chats with Sarah, and she has told others who share my feelings. So what is my role here? Is there a "right" thing to do?


A: If you act you must know that you possibly will end Sarah's job at this institution and potentially her academic career. Tom's livelihood will be in jeopardy, too. However, these two sound as if wherever they go they will wreak havoc with the careers and futures of others. This is the kind of dysfunctional department that sends people fleeing. Among Sarah's qualities is being a blabbermouth, so you'd think word of her activities would have made it back the administrators. But all too often the people in charge just don't want to deal with sticky problems. If you were in this research office, I'd say you'd have to speak up. But you are not employed by the university and not directly affected. Presumably, Sarah has been speaking to you as a friend in what she thought was confidence. I think you have to up the ante with her. Tell her that she is putting her entire career in jeopardy with this affair. She is violating the rules and people know about it. If she doesn't end it and stop favoring Tom, someone is going to speak up and she will get hurt. Then if she doesn't take your advice, you should stop being her confidante. But I think word of this den of intrigue should go to the higher ups from those directly involved.

Dear Prudence: Blackballed Son

Q. My Kid's Friend's Disorganized Mom: My 8-year-old daughter has a friend whom she adores. Unfortunately, the kid's mom is totally disorganized—always late and frequently missing play dates altogether. Last year, she forgot to bring her daughter to my kid's birthday party. Last Saturday she blew off a play date that we had had planned for weeks. I hate to see my daughter disappointed repeatedly, but I don't know how to explain to her that we probably need to stop pursuing this friendship. Thoughts?

A: Cut out flaky Mom as the middleman. When you make arrangements for the girls to play, just say, "So I'll swing by and pick up Eliza at 10:00 to take them to the playground." When they get together after school, just have Eliza come directly to your house. For group events try to help make sure there's a carpool that sees to it Eliza gets there. Yes, this is a little extra work for you, but think of how awful it is to be the little girl who misses her best friend's birthday because her mother has trouble functioning. Don't punish your daughter and her friend, instead be an oasis of reliability so that Eliza knows some adults can be counted on.

Q. Relationship With Father-in-Law: My father-in-law has been emotionally abusive to his wife and daughters for over a decade now, including a period of time when his wife was going through serious medical issues. Lately he has been escalating to physical abuse with my MIL—the police have been called, although no charges were pressed, and my MIL is currently seeing a therapist to whom she was referred by a domestic violence help line. But they are still together, act like a normal couple most of the time, and a future separation is not clear. My wife is going through the process of deciding how to deal with this situation. Although she dislikes being around my FIL, she isn't sure whether to try to make a break with her father, and is still dealing with the effects of his abusive behavior toward her. I don't feel I can have a relationship with this man, given how he has treated my wife and her family and remains unrepentant or even willing to admit there is a problem. If I continue avoiding him or not being friendly at family functions, things are going to come to a head eventually. How can I deal with this without unduly pressuring my wife to have a confrontation with her mother and/or father that she may not be willing to have?

A: Growing up with an abusive parent means your wife has to deal with her own issues. I think you should encourage her to see a counselor who specializes in abuse to help her sort through what she experienced and what she wants to do going forward. It would probably be helpful for you to attend a few sessions and explain what you've said here—that you want to support your wife, but you don't feel able to carry on a "normal" relationship with her father. However, I think it's fair for you to tell your wife you find her father's behavior so repugnant that you aren't able to keep up a pretense with him. You can tell her you will not make a scene at family events, but your plan is to do no more than nod your head to your father-in-law, say hello, then move away.