Human Nature has been away on a project and will be back soon with articles and blog posts. Until then, here are some of the short takes I've been posting on the news. To get them in real time, subscribe to the HN Twitter feed .
4. Get ready for restrictions on heating & A/C: http://bit.ly/53pOz9 Spain is banning A/C below 79 degrees. Prediction: This will sweep Europe.
5. Latest plan to fight global warming: sheep eugenics. http://bit.ly/8pTtLQ To reduce methane burps. I kid you not. A tree-hugger's dilemma.
6. Comfort food as antidepressant: http://bit.ly/8eXSUt It's getting harder to sustain the old idea that "food" is natural but "drugs" aren't.
7. Fight HIV with Muslim extremism? http://bit.ly/5fiza4 In case you blamed Jesse Helms on Christianity. BTW, I hear beheadings are unsanitary.
8. 80% of US corn comes from GM seeds controlled by a Monsanto patent: http://bit.ly/4y3mOU Goodbye nature, hello intellectual property.
9. Psychopathic genes can make you a psychopath... unless you're aware of them. http://bit.ly/7TvLMY Reflection is a glitch in bio-determinism.
11. 70%-80% of 2009 U.S. casualties in Afghanistan have been caused by IEDs, not weapons fire: http://bit.ly/8bIsUb So much for "shooting wars."
12. Illusion of muscles created by spray-tan art: http://bit.ly/5yEJoK Forget Photoshop, the new visual fraud is standing right in front of you.
15. Teaching computers idioms via feedback: http://bit.ly/5MedPD This is the path to AI: Machines must learn by observation & modeling, as we do.
16. Horrifying story of a guy misdiagnosed as comatose, unable to speak the truth: http://bit.ly/6o8kEz How many more cases don't we know about?
17. Child molesters turning to cyberspace: http://bit.ly/6EozoM Looks like a net gain: 1) can bypass touching and 2) easier to track/catch them.
18. Next-generation surveillance: Acoustic sensor networks triangulate gunshot locations & swivel/zoom cameras to catch you. http://bit.ly/7Y5Zp8
19. If molesters can't can't be with kids, shouldn't people who kill in their sleep be barred from sleeping with others? http://bit.ly/6XDEIZ
20. If your kindergarten "aptitude" test can be outsmarted by test prep http://bit.ly/8qO24D , then it doesn't really measure aptitude, does it?
21. Old wives' tale: Pot is bad for you in 100 ways. New wives' tale: Pot is good for you in 100 ways. That'll be $100. http://bit.ly/5hP03O
TODAY IN SLATE
More Than Scottish Pride
iOS 8 Comes Out Today. Do Not Put It on Your iPhone 4S.
Why Greenland’s “Dark Snow” Should Worry You
Three Talented Actresses in Three Terrible New Shows
The Human Need to Find Connections in Everything
It’s the source of creativity and delusions. It can harm us more than it helps us.
Happy Constitution Day!
Too bad it’s almost certainly unconstitutional.