- In the closing weeks of the campaign, Democrats are working hard to convince voters that a conservative social agenda awaits them, should Republicans be elected in large numbers in November. Their main focus? Abortion rights. [ New York Times ]
- Michelle Obama is No. 1 on Forbes ' list of the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women , which is now "based less on traditional calculations of wealth and executive position, and more on creative influence and entrepreneurship". [ Daily News ]
- Rolfing (deep-tissue bodywork that is a lot more intense than a regular massage) is making a comeback, especially among younger city dwellers who are seeking more extreme ways to relieve the stresses of modern life. [ New York Times ]
Photograph of Michelle Obama by Getty Images.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.