-A federal judge’s verdict yesterday struck down Proposition 8, the California ban on same-sex marriage. The ruling is only a step on the path to a longer battle that will likely end in the Supreme Court. [ The New York Times ]
's son posed with two adorable young girls for his family-friendly campaign mailer. The problem? The young candidate
doesn’t actually have kids
- Naomi Campbell testified against former Liberian leader Charles Taylor , admitting that the war criminal had given her "blood diamonds" at a dinner in 1997. [ People ]
Photograph by Janek Skarzynski/AFP.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.